We are living through challenging times as the world comes to terms with the global spread of coronavirus (Covid-19). While this crisis has upended our way of life, we could not be more proud to be a part of the transit industry community. The responses from our transit partners have inspired us daily.
Around the world, we’ve seen transit (public transport) step up to this unprecedented challenge. Whether it’s by maintaining services for our transit dependent community members through rapidly changing service schedules, taking the necessary steps to protect transit operators (drivers) and riders, or through herculean system wide sanitization efforts to prevent the spread of the disease, transit agencies (and transport operators) have responded to this emergency with incredible resilience, courage and focus.
The Masabi team has put together this compilation of resources as our small way of trying to do something useful. While you’re on the frontlines, continuing a crucial service in helping people and key workers get where they need to go, we want to make sure it's easy for you to find the resources you need to operate your systems during this difficult time.
From the whole team at Masabi, we are very proud to be your partner and your industry colleagues.
We hope that this information will help agencies prepare for and tackle the Covid-19 pandemic. If we can provide help in any way please reach out to us, we will do everything in our power to assist you during this critical time.
Table of contents:
- Transit agency (transport operator) resources
- Impact on ridership
- Useful information, offers and tools
- General information on the diseases
- Funding news
- Transit agency Covid-19 trends
- Reduced services
- Cashless and ticketless ways to pay
- Temporarily suspending fares
- More on-demand transit
- Maintenance and capital projects
- Reduction in sales tax revenues
- Increase in public-private partnerships
- Post pandemic trends
Transit agency (transport operator) resources
We have pulled together documents from experts around the globe who are helping to provide useful resources to transport agencies and operators. Here are the best ones we have found:
- APTA. The American Public Transportation Association (APTA) has put together a great set of resources for agencies fighting Coronavirus (Covid-19), these include: https://www.apta.com/public-transit-response-to-coronavirus/
- A dedicated email hotline where members can submit questions related to Covid-19 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Useful information from Q&As will be added to this resource page for the benefit of all APTA members.
- A guide for public transportation pandemic planning and response (NCHRP Report 769): https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uploads/APTA-Coronavirus-Brief-03-05-20.pdf
- Developing a Contagious Virus Response Plan: https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uploads/Standards_Documents/APTA-SS-SEM-S-005-09.pdf
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): Resources for Public Transportation Agencies
- APTA and CDC Webinar: Keeping Public Transit Workers and Riders Safe During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Thu, Apr 16, 2020 6:30 PM - 7:15 PM BST: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/3451872081643432203
- The COVID-19 Pandemic. Public Transportation Responds: Safeguarding Riders and Employees: https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uploads/COVID-19_Transit_Guide_FINAL_04132020.pdf
- UITP. The International Association of Public Transport (UITP) is a non-profit advocacy organization for public transport authorities and operators which has also led from the front with the wealth of resources it has made available for members. These include:
- A UITP factsheet titled “The coronavirus and the public transport sector: UITP Issues Factsheet on management of outbreak” that is accessible in English, French, Spanish and Portugese. If you are a UITP member you can log in to view a series of free webinars on the topic of the Public Transport Response to Coronavirus, you can also access case studies from Shenzhen Bus in China : https://www.uitp.org/news/coronavirus-outbreak-uitp-and-public-transport-sector
- Management of Covid-19: Guidelines for public transport operators. This document aims to assist public transport operators in tailoring business continuity plans responding to the specific challenges of communicable diseases: https://www.uitp.org/sites/default/files/cck-focus-papers-files/Corona%20Virus_EN.pdf
- Guardians of Mobility: from the front lines in Seoul, South Korea: https://www.uitp.org/news/guardians-mobility-front-lines-seoul-south-korea
- Guardians of Mobility: from the front lines in Milan, Italy: https://www.uitp.org/news/guardians-mobility-front-lines-milan-italy
- Guardians of Mobility: from the front lines in Baku, Azerbaijan: https://www.uitp.org/news/guardians-mobility-front-lines-baku-azerbaijan
- Guardians of Mobility: from the front lines in Sao Paulo, Brazil: https://www.uitp.org/news/guardians-mobility-front-lines-sao-paulo-brazil
- Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
- NCHRP Report 769 – A Guide for Public Transportation Pandemic Planning and Response: https://transops.s3.amazonaws.com/uploaded_files/nchrp_rpt_769.pdf
- Transportation in the Face of Communicable Disease: https://www.nationalacademies.org/trb/blog/transportation-in-the-face-of-communicable-disease
- Public Transit Emergency Preparedness Against Ebola and Other Infectious Diseases: Legal Issues: http://www.trb.org/Publications/Blurbs/176090.aspx
- US Department of Transportation
- A page titled ‘Making Public Transit Safer During Covid-19 Outbreak’ discussing the very important topic of safety: https://www.transportation.gov/connections/making-public-transit-safer-during-covid-19-outbreak
- Combating Covid-19, Shenzhen Bus Group’s Experience: http://en.szbus.com.cn/news/30.html
- Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA).
- The CUTA staff pulled together useful resources on their page: ‘Covid-19: Guidance for the Public Transit Industry’: https://cutaactu.ca/en/content/covid-19-resources
- Community Transportation Association of America (CTAA). This page is a collection of useful resources and news vital to transit operators during the Covid-19 outbreak: https://ctaa.org/covid-19-resources/
- CTAA Best Practices: Communicating Service Reductions: https://ctaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Service_Reduction.pdf
- CTAA Best Practices: What To Do if Your Employee Tests Positive: https://ctaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/What_To_Do.pd
- CTAA Best Practices: Properly Cleaning a Vehicle and Other Transit Facilities: https://ctaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Cleaning_Vehicle.pdf
- The Washington Post
- An article titled ‘Why transit must survive the virus’, highlighting the importance of transit in this critical time but also for the future that is to come after the pandemic: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-transit-must-survive-the-virus/2020/03/22/2f4ecc62-6af7-11ea-9923-57073adce27c_story.html
- National Association of City Transportation Officials. A list of resources from NACTO https://nacto.org/program/covid19/ who continually update this page with guidance and tools, including:
- Rapid response tools for cities, with implementation strategies
- City transportation action updates from around the world
- Webinars, real-time forums and technical assistance on emerging issue
- Information about emergency federal assistance and stimulus funding
- WSP Whitepaper. Can we reduce Covid-19 on Public Transit?: https://www.wsp.com/en-AU/insights/can-we-reduce-covid-19-on-public-transit
- AMA Webinar. Public Transit in the Time of COVID-19. Apr 8, 2020 10:00 AM in Pacific Time (US and Canada): https://zoom.us/webinar/
- Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain. Response to Covid 19 – Operator Licensing, Local Bus Service Registration and Vocational Driver Conduct: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/877509/200401_Advice_note_Clean.pdf
- Gov.co.uk. COVID-19: guidance for staff in the transport sector: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-staff-in-the-transport-sector/covid-19-guidance-for-staff-in-the-transport-sector
- Transport for NSW. Working to prevent the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19): https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/news-and-events/articles/working-to-prevent-spread-of-coronavirus-covid-19
- Mass Transit Mag. Transit agencies turn attention toward face coverings for operators and riders. With new CDC guidance, agencies have changed their own recommendations about masks being worn by employees and riders. https://www.masstransitmag.com/safety-security/article/21132999/transit-agencies-turn-attention-toward-face-coverings-for-operators-and-riders?
- SmartCitiesDive. A 'different world' awaits transit on the other side of coronavirus: https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news/public-transit-webinar-coronavirus-swiftly-time-to-shine/575866/
- Metro Magazine. Transit's monumental challenges to support the frontline in the time of coronavirus: https://www.metro-magazine.com/management-operations/article/738100/transit-s-monumental-challenges-to-support-the-frontline-in-the-time-of-coronavir?
- Human Transit. Cutting Transit Service During the Pandemic: Why? How? And What’s Next?https://humantransit.org/2020/04/cutting-transit-service-during-the-pandemic-why-how-and-whats-next.html
- Caltrans. Coronavirus Awareness Resources: https://caltransit.org/resources/coronavirus-awareness/
- Metro Magazine. Responding to COVID-19: How to optimize transportation resources during emergencies: https://www.metro-magazine.com/management-operations/article/738104/responding-to-covid-19-how-to-optimize-transportation-resources-during-emergencie?
- Mass Transit. Ten cities that have redefined public transportation during COVID-19: https://www.masstransitmag.com/alt-mobility/shared-mobility/article/21135013/via-transportation-10-cities-that-have-redefined-public-transportation-during-covid19
- Mass Transit. How COVID-19 has impacted transit maintenance practices: https://www.masstransitmag.com/technology/article/21135904/how-covid19-has-impacted-transit-maintenance-practices?
- Swiftly. Six Tips for Transit Agencies During COVID-19: https://blog.goswift.ly/six-tips-for-transit-agencies-during-covid-19-50e020fcb98e
Impact on ridership
While the global stay at home measures have resulted in decreased ridership, we know that transit is our lifeblood. Ensuring that grocery and health workers can go to their places of employment so our communities and healthcare systems can keep functioning is crucial during this critical time. Here are some resources that might help you better understand how riders are riding your system through this period:
- Provided by Transit, this page looks at how coronavirus is disrupting public transit: https://transitapp.com/coronavirus. This data uses the frequency of Transit app opens as a rough proxy for demand. They compare actual usage of the app, to projected use of the app based on last year’s numbers (adjusted for annual growth) to measure how much ridership has changed from “normal.”
- Provided by Moovit, this page compares facts and statistics about public transit in different cities: https://moovitapp.com/insights/en/Moovit_Insights_Public_Transit_Index-countries. The numbers are updated daily.
- Provided by Citymapper, the Citymapper Mobility Index monitors the percentage of cities moving compared to usual: https://citymapper.com/cmi. Citymapper compares trips planned to a typical period at the start of 2020. Trips planned ('Get me somewhere' and related) are correlated to trips taken (GO mode)
- Provided by Intelligent Transport. How is coronavirus affecting the global transport sector? Live updates. This page updates with the latest information: https://www.intelligenttransport.com/transport-news/97181/coronavirus-transport-live-updates/
- Provided by Google. COVID-19 Community Mobility Reports. See how your community is moving around differently due to COVID-19: https://www.google.com/
- Provided by Apple. Mobility Trends Reports: https://www.apple.com/covid19/mobility
It’s crucial transport providers get the necessary funding to ensure they can keep services moving while they are no longer getting significant revenues through fares. Here are some resources we’ve been following:
- US Transit.
- APTA Applauds Bipartisan Agreement, Passage of CARES ACT that includes $25 Billion for Public Transit: https://www.apta.com/news-publications/press-releases/releases/apta-applauds-bipartisan-agreement-passage-of-cares-act-that-includes-25-billion-for-public-transit/
- APTA Webinar - The CARES Act: Business Loan Task Force Webinar for the American Public Transportation Association: https://www.apta.com/public-transit-response-to-coronavirus/covid-19-videos-and-webinar-content-from-apta/#single/0
- Federal Transit Administration. Fiscal Year 2020 CARES Act Supplemental Public Transportation Apportionments and Allocations: https://www.transit.dot.gov/cares-act-apportionments
- COVID-19 Public Transit Funds - An APTA Update (webinar): http://apta.vzaar.me/21400024
- FTA Announces Increased Flexibility to Help Transit Agencies Respond to Coronavirus: https://www.azta.org/news/fta-announces-increased-flexibility-to-help-transit-agencies-respond-to-coronavirus
- California Transit Association (CTA) Press Release. Recently Signed Federal Stimulus Provides Much Needed Relief for Struggling California. Transit Agencies. Future Stability of Transit Still in Question: https://caltransit.org/news-publications/our-newsroom/press-releases/response-to-cares-act/
- Metro Mag. Tips for getting SBA Bridge loans: https://www.metro-magazine.com/government-issues/article/737987/tips-for-getting-sba-bridge-loans
- APTA Applauds House Democrats and President Trump’s Efforts to Include Infrastructure in Economic Recovery Package: https://www.apta.com/news-publications/press-releases/releases/apta-applauds-house-democrats-and-president-trumps-efforts-to-include-infrastructure-in-economic-recovery-package/
- Canadian Transit.
- CUTA - Public transit needs federal support now: https://cutaactu.ca/en/news-media/latest-news/public-transit-needs-federal-support-now
- Welsh Rail.
- UK Rail.
- UK Bus.
- Government bails out bus firms to keep routes open: https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-52122342
- Operators and councils get to grips with Covid-19 bus grant: https://www.transportxtra.com/publications/local-transport-today/news/65144/operators-and-councils-get-to-grips-with-covid-19-bus-grant/
- Scottish Bus.
- Emergency support for the Scottish bus industry: https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/emergency-support-for-the-scottish-bus-industry/
Useful information, offers and tools
- From Trapeze - The Trapeze team is working on offering practical resources and assistance to help authorities and operators to adapt to this situation. They have a range of existing support tools on their client support portal, which is being augmented with specific Covid-19 resources and training webinars. https://trapezegroup.co.uk/helping-customers-manage-through-covid-19/. You can register for access here: https://info.trapezegroup.co.uk/trapeze-community-registration.
- From Trapeze - A useful podcast. Comfort’s Corner- The Latest Covid-19 Impacts on Transit: https://www.transitunplugged.com/comforts-corner-episode-one
- From Transit - Resources for transit agencies responding to coronavirus.
Transit are keeping riders informed with the latest updates from their transit agencies: https://transitapp.com/coronavirus-response
- From Intelligent Transport and Masabi - This webinar looks at the impact of Covid-19 on Fare Payments and discuss the latest trends. A New Fare Payments Reality: Ticketless, Cashless and ‘as a service’, 29 April 2020 3:00PM (BST): https://www.intelligenttransport.com/transport-webinars/97684/a-new-fare-payments-reality-ticketless-cashless-and-as-a-service/
- From VIA - Responding to Covid-19 (webinar): How to optimize transportation resources during emergencies: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/3963243944134788364?source=ViaEmailsEnglish
- From Optibus - Helping Transit Agencies Prepare for Covid-19 With No-Cost Contingency Plans: https://www.optibus.com/helping-transit-agencies-prepare-for-covid-19-with-no-cost-contingency-plans/
- From Uber - Here to help: Supporting transit agencies to keep cities up and running: https://www.uber.com/newsroom/transit-support/ (In places where fixed-route or demand responsive services need to be cut back or suspended, transit agencies can temporarily fill service gaps by offering subsidized Uber trips to their riders.)
- From Bonfire - Need to bring your procurement process online? Access Bonfire free of charge until July 31, 2020, with no purchase obligation required. https://gobonfire.com/working-remote-webinar-program/?
- From Human Transit.org - Watch or Listen: How Can Covid-19 Transform the Transit Conversation? (Podcast with Remix): https://humantransit.org/2020/03/watch-how-can-covid-19-transform-the-transit-conversation.html
- From Metro Magazine - Webinar, Talking Transit Through COVID-19 & Beyond. Tue, Apr 7, 2020 11:00 AM PDT (7:00 PM BST): https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1299954
- From Moovit - Adapt quickly and effectively to Coronavirus. Moovit's COVID-19 Response Solutions: https://learn.moovit.com/covid19/?
- From Mass Transit Mag - Best Practices in the Sterilization of Transit Property: https://www.masstransitmag.com/safety-security/article/21132532/sterifab-best-practices-in-the-sterilization-of-transit-property?
- From Swiftly - How Are Public Transit Agencies Responding to COVID-19? Transit Agency Response and Official Recommendations: https://blog.goswift.ly/how-are-public-transit-agencies-responding-to-covid-19-5d9369f5220f
- From UITP - Guardians of Mobility: from the front lines in Bergamo, Italy: https://www.uitp.org/news/guardians-mobility-front-lines-bergamo-italy
- From Ford Mobility's portfolio of smart transit subsidiaries — TransLoc, Ride Systems and DoubleMap — launched an initiative to provide transit agencies with free demand response software, consulting and planning services as they adjust to industrywide changes amid the COVID-19 outbreak: https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news/ford-mobility-fixed-to-flex-transit-coronavirus/575580/
- From Transloc - Free demand response software and planning services to help you move people now. No cost. No strings attached: https://go.transloc.com/fixedtoflex-application
General information on the diseases
- This page is useful to track the spread of the disease. Coronavirus Covid-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU): https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
- This page ‘Emerging respiratory viruses, including Covid-19: methods for detection, prevention, response and control’ is really interesting: https://openwho.org/courses/introduction-to-ncov
- This page from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US) is useful: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html and has some very interesting FAQs: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html. They also have useful videos: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/communication/videos.html
- The economics of a pandemic: the case of Covid-19 from the London Business School: https://info.masabi.com/hubfs/custom-video-thumbnails/LBS%20-%20Economics%20of%20COVID%20(1).pdf
- Impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to reduce Covid- 19 mortality and healthcare demand from Imperial College London: https://info.masabi.com/hubfs/custom-video-thumbnails/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020%20(1).pdf
- YouGov international COVID-19 tracker: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/international/articles-reports/2020/03/17/YouGov-international-COVID-19-tracker
- TRB report, Transportation Investments in Response to Economic Downturn: shttp://www.trb.org/Publications/Blurbs/170114.aspx
- Boston Consulting Group, Epidemic Projections: https://info.masabi.com/hubfs/Boston%20Consulting%20Group-Epidemic%20Projections%20Summary%20V%20Final.pdf%20(1).pdf
Transit agency Covid-19 trends
Transport agencies are reducing services in response to the reduction in people traveling. They are still however on the frontlines, continuing a crucial service in helping people and key workers get where they need to go.
- Minister announces reduction in public transport services as response to Covid-19 outbreak: Department for Infrastructure in Northern Ireland https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/news/minister-announces-reduction-public-transport-services-response-covid-19-outbreak
- Smaller transit providers suspending service or limiting to medically necessary trips due to Covid-19 concerns: https://www.masstransitmag.com/bus/article/21130388/smaller-transit-providers-suspending-service-or-limiting-to-medically-necessary-trips-due-to-covid19-concerns
- Denver RTD estimates its ridership has dropped 60 percent through March 18: https://www.masstransitmag.com/management/press-release/21130420/regional-transportation-district-rtd-denver-rtd-estimates-its-ridership-has-dropped-60-percent-through-march-18
Cashless and ticketless ways to pay
Transport agencies and operators are promoting safe ways to pay so passengers do not need to use cash, a ticket office or ticket vending machines - reducing the chance of infection and the spread of Covid-19. Here are a few examples:
- Cincinnati Bell Connector: https://twitter.com/CB_Connector/status/1238537138544824320?s=20
- San Diego: https://twitter.com/sdmts/status/1238242609442598912?s=20
- Ensignbus: https://twitter.com/EnsignBusCo/status/1239901368678322181?s=20
- Stuff.co.nz - Coronavirus: Public transport could start rejecting cash payments: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120371549/coronavirus-public-transport-could-start-rejecting-cash-payments
- New York MTA: Metro-North will no longer accept cash for fare payments on trains or at ticket counters. “We also urge customers to use MTA eTix, the fast and easy way to pay directly from your smartphone.”: https://www.westport-news.com/local/article/Metro-North-no-longer-accepting-cash-for-tickets-15137197.php
- New York MTA: LIRR stops cash except at ticket vending machines: https://abc7ny.com/health/lirr-suspends-cash-payments-closes-lost-and-found/6027159/.The most contactless way to pay is to use MTA eTix to pay directly from your smartphone.
- Bus company accepting contactless payments only from tomorrow: https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/transport/bus-company-accepting-contactless-payments-only-tomorrow-2540768
- Bus drivers will no longer touch cash from passengers in rule change from Monday - Go North East buses launch a further drive to tighten up on safety and here's what it means for passengers: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/buses-exact-money-coronavirus-drivers-18149234
- Metro trains to have contactless ticketing to curb Covid-19 spread: https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/metro-trains-to-have-contactless-ticketing-to-curb-covid-spread/story-jf0Lq9exqKLQVUBtxFNC3L.html
- Passengers reminded to observe health guidelines under conditional MCO. "Passengers and employees alike are strongly encouraged to wear masks and use hand sanitisers before and after using public transportation. Use contactless ticketing methods whenever possible.": https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2020/05/01/passengers-reminded-to-observe-health-guidelines-under-conditional-mco
- Forbes. As Commuters Eye Return To Work, Some Cities Accelerate Ticketless Public Transit: https://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkoff/2020/04/28/as-commuters-eye-returning-to-work-some-cities-accelerate-implementation-of-ticketless-public-transit/#52e7cd2a7058
Temporarily suspending fares
Some transport agencies and operators are temporarily removing the need for people to pay fares to help keep operators (drivers) and passengers safe during this pandemic.
- Mass Transit. Systems drop fare collection to further enhance Covid-19 mitigation measures: https://www.masstransitmag.com/technology/fare-collection/article/21130017/systems-drop-fare-collection-to-further-enhance-covid19-mitigation-measures
- CityLab. Is Free Transit Safer? As Ridership Drops, Some Agencies Cut Fares. In Ohio and elsewhere, buses are going fare-free as the Covid-19 crisis spreads. Here’s why that can make both riders and drivers safer: https://www.citylab.com/perspective/2020/03/coronavirus-public-transit-fares-free-rides-bus-covid-19/608350/
More on-demand transit
We have started to see agencies implement more on-demand responsive transport options:
- DCTA expands microtransit service in response to Covid-19: https://www.metro-magazine.com/mobility/news/737964/dcta-expands-microtransit-service-in-response-to-covid-19
- Kalamazoo Metro Transit to suspend regular bus service during COVID-19 pandemic: https://wwmt.com/news/local/kalamazoo-metro-transit-to-suspend-regular-bus-service-during-covid-19-pandemic
- Belleville Transit on-demand temporarily: https://www.intelligencer.ca/news/local-news/belleville-transit-on-demand-temporarily
- MI: Mass Transportation Authority suspends all fixed routes bus service, still offers Your Ride: https://www.masstransitmag.com/bus/news/21132342/mi-mass-transportation-authority-suspends-all-fixed-routes-bus-service-still-offers-your-ride?
- (We LOVE this story) Grocery delivery service now available to Denver RTD Access-a-Ride customers: https://www.masstransitmag.com/bus/paratransit/press-release/21132453/regional-transportation-district-rtd-grocery-delivery-service-now-available-to-denver-rtd-accessaride-customers
- ViaVan introduces dynamic mobility solution for essential workers in Berlin: https://www.metro-magazine.com/mobility/news/737977/viavan-introduces-dynamic-mobility-solution-for-essential-workers-in-berlin
- Miami-Dade Transit partnering with Uber, Lyft for late night essential ride options: https://www.masstransitmag.com/alt-mobility/shared-mobility/article/21133166/miamidade-transit-partnering-with-uber-lyft-for-late-night-options?
- Transit, rideshare partnerships may rise in post-pandemic era, new study argues: https://www.metro-magazine.com/mobility/news/738119/transit-rideshare-partnerships-may-rise-in-post-pandemic-era-new-study-argues
- IndyGo and Uber partner to provide discounted rides for essential workers: https://www.masstransitmag.com/alt-mobility/shared-mobility/car-sharing/press-release/21134916/indianapolis-public-transportation-corporation-indygo-indygo-and-uber-partner-to-provide-discounted-rides-for-essential-workers?
- Ben Franklin Transit and Via launch new on-demand service in West Pasco: https://www.masstransitmag.com/alt-mobility/shared-mobility/press-release/21134918/via-mobility-services-via-ben-franklin-transit-and-via-launch-new-ondemand-service-in-west-pasco?
- Via to partner with Washington, D.C., to provide healthcare workers new on-demand option: https://www.masstransitmag.com/alt-mobility/shared-mobility/news/21135295/via-transportation-via-to-partner-with-washington-dc-to-provide-healthcare-workers-new-ondemand-option?
- Lindsay Transit launches ‘on-demand’ service: https://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/9967395-lindsay-transit-launches-on-demand-service/
- Cap Metro Offers On-Demand Transit Via Phone App: https://patch.com/texas/downtownaustin/cap-metro-offers-demand-transit-phone-app
- Special Report—On the Front Line: While COVID-19 kills ridership, BART finds construction work therapeutic: https://www.rtands.com/rail-news/while-covid-19-kills-ridership-bart-finds-construction-work-therapeutic/
- Downtime brought on by COVID-19 means it's project time for Minnesota transit: https://www.masstransitmag.com/management/news/21133243/mn-downtime-brought-on-by-covid19-means-its-project-time-for-minnesota-transit?
Sales tax revenue reductions
- OH: Greater Cleveland RTA projecting big losses in sales tax revenues, fares: https://www.masstransitmag.com/management/news/21133998/oh-greater-cleveland-rta-projecting-big-losses-in-sales-tax-revenues-fares?
- CA: San Diego public agencies estimated to lose billions in tax revenue as coronavirus cuts retail sales in half: https://www.masstransitmag.com/management/news/21133999/ca-san-diego-public-agencies-estimated-to-lose-billions-in-tax-revenue-as-coronavirus-cuts-retail-sales-in-half?
- Bloomberg: Mass Transit Faces a Downward Spiral of Reduced Revenue and Ridership: https://www.bloombergquint.com/businessweek/mass-transit-may-never-recover-from-the-coronavirus-pandemic
Increase in public-private partnerships
- Transit, rideshare partnerships may rise in post-pandemic era, new study argues: https://www.metro-magazine.com/mobility/news/738119/transit-rideshare-partnerships-may-rise-in-post-pandemic-era-new-study-argues?
Post pandemic trends
- Intelligent Transport. How has COVID-19 impacted 2020’s mobility trends?: https://www.intelligenttransport.com/transport-articles/98257/how-has-covid-19-impacted-2020s-mobility-trends/
- Road to Recovery - Blog from industry though leader Paul Comfort: https://www-futureofpublictransportation-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.futureofpublictransportation.com/amp/road-to-recovery
- How the COVID-19 crisis inspired this major Italian city to transform its polluted streets – for good: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/milan-covid-19-coronavirus-lockdown-reducing-car-use?
We are sure there is more great content out there. If you know of any, please do share it with us and we will add them to this resource. If you have any questions, or you are looking to introduce a safe way for passengers to pay, please do drop us an email and we will do what we can to assist.
My email is email@example.com